Forum Home > General Sports Discussion
Discuss your favorite (or hated) sports and teams
Page 1 of 1
Would the Redskins take Mariota?
Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:07 pm

Re: Would the Redskins take Mariota?
Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:18 am

Interesting article - I think they're saying it for trade bait. Snyder just loves RG3.

Regardless, I think the Titans take Mariota at #4.
Re: Would the Redskins take Mariota?
Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:24 pm

My take on this is a little jaded, simply because, as a fan of the Redskins, I'm not particularly on board for Marcus Mariota at No. 5. However, I fully understand a front office doing what they need to do in order to increase leverage, drive the price of their pick, and keep the competitive football organizations on their toes.

Assuming Jameis Winston goes to Tampa Bay at No. 1, and assuming the Titans really are satisfied with Zach Mettenberger (at least for now) going forward, the next obvious landing spot for Mariota became the Jets at No. 6. But Redskins general manager Scot McCloughan couldn't sit back and let a team just one pick away from them generate all the buzz, receive all the phone calls, and ultimately have one of the (maybe) most sought-after picks in the draft. Now it's hot off the press (via a trusted and credible John Clayton) that it's actually Washington who potentially holds the flashy pick.

All that said -- and despite not being a huge fan of the idea (simply put, I'm not as high on Mariota as others) -- the Redskins could pull the trigger and surprise some people by not just talking about Mariota at No. 5, but actually selecting him at No. 5. Why? Well a move like that would imply the support for Robert Griffin III has dissolved (and that support seems to stem mainly from ownership), the belief in Kirk Cousins may ultimately stick to that of a backup (and all the belief, in my opinion, comes from coaches/teammates), and most importantly, the outlook of quarterback prospects coming out in the next year or so appears lackluster (or at least underwhelming). In such a case, the Redskins say to themselves: this team doesn't have a long-term answer for the quarterback position on the roster, the upcoming year or two looks down for prospects at that position, and Mariota is a guy we like enough in that spot.

Personally, as a betting man, my money would be on the Redskins NOT taking Mariota at No. 5, the Redskins either trading back for more picks OR drafting a pass rusher at No. 5 overall, and Cousins beating out Griffin for the starting quarterback job in 2015.
Page 1 of 1